Let us take a look at some lesser known facts about FIFA World Cup that every football fan in the world needs to know.
- This would be the first time in the history of FIFA World Cup that Russia would play host, from June 14 to July 15, 2018.
- A total of 32 teams would be having their eyes on the trophy.
- The 2018 World Cup mascot is a wolf named Zabivaka, which was chosen via online voting.
- McDonald’s is the official food partner for the World Cup 2018.
- The total prize money for 2018 World Cup is 400 USD million.
- First time in the history of world cup VAR (Video Assistant Referee) system would be used.
- The tournament would be played across 11 cities and 12 stadiums.
- Luzhniki stadium in Moscow has a capacity of 81,000 people and is the biggest stadium rebuilt in Russia on the occasion of World Cup.
- Matches would also be played in the easternmost city Ekaterinburg and the westernmost city Kaliningrad which are 2,415 kms apart. It is approximately the same distance between Moscow and London.
- Iceland and Panama would make their World Cup debut this year.
- Brazil is the only nation to play in each tournament.
- The World Cup has been held 20 times since 1930 and Brazil has won the maximum number of times i.e five.
Credits – youthistaan